faulty handbrake module affecting coding of other issues??

Hi all – I have 2009 3.0i X5 and I purchased it with a none working parking brake/Hold assist. I wasn't really bothered about this but replaced the unit with one from ebay (I had read lots of reviews from other happy buyers) went through the procedures of fitting and adjusting everything and nothing changed - figured I'd just continue living with it as it didn't really affect me enough to sink $3000AUD into a genuine BMW module.
Recently I changed jobs and have a really long commute, so I put the X5 in the garage and purchased a VW Touran to start using as a daily.
My office location changed, and I wanted to start using the X5 again and passing the Touran onto my daughter.

I was recommended a local guy who works for a BMW dealership who does private work and contacted him to perform a full service of fluids and filters, change the water pump and thermostat and change new disks and pads – and to also have a look at the parking brake.

When I went to start the car, it was clear the battery had drained to a point where the car wouldn’t quite start (one of the kids had disconnected the battery conditioner). I put the car on charge for a week and when the car started, I was faced with the warning lights for 4x4 / traction control / tyre pressure monitoring. Which I had experienced before after disconnecting the battery – However, unlike other times, I could not get the warning lights to clear.
Ofcourse there was also the warning for the parking brake malfunction that had always been there.

Car went off to have the work done and in addition to all the other items I mentioned, he had to fit a front left ABS sensor. He reported that he had also managed to get the handbrake to engage but the hill hold assist still didn’t work. I went and collected the car but all the aforementioned warning lights were still on and I now also had a brake pad wear message too.
I explained to the guy that, having the error messages and warning lights was obviously an issue for me and he explained that whilst all the parts were genuine BMW, the work was all done at his home and not the dealership (fair enough) and that his snap on diagnostic equipment was unable to clear them…. He suggested I drive the car for a while and see if they clear and if not I would arrange a time with him, where he would take it to the dealership and put it on the correct BMW diagnostics.

So, this took place last week – and I still have all the warning lights. He said that the BMW diagnostics software was reading that the parking brake module was not correct and this was stopping all the pathways to clearing the other codes. And that the only way around this would be to change the parking brake module.

Does this sound correct? I only ask, as a genuine parking brake module/assembly is eye wateringly expensive, and I would hate to go to all the expense of that and find that all the other lights not clearing are due to something else?